Monday 17 January 2011

What to wear to a destination wedding in Italy

Men have it easy when it comes to what to wear to a wedding!

It is January and I have just received the first wedding invitation of 2011 to a friend’s wedding. I was delighted to see they stipulated the dress code (white tie) and it made me think, what will I wear! You would think when it comes to the question of  what to wear to a wedding I would not have to even think about it, but unlike my staple wardrobe of dresses and outfits for work, when I am climbing up ladders and carrying massive vases of flowers, not to mention the running through the streets of Siena in 40 degrees heat, this time I am a guest and I need to find a full length evening gown!

I think because I think it is so important that guests also look fab, I put a lot of pressure on myself. There is a need for extra effort to be put in so that my friend knows it was an honour to have been invited to her very special day and as a mark of respect I will dress up and look glam for the occasion!

It has made me think about the guests who will be receiving their invitations in the post in the near future for a destination wedding in Italy. How to make it easier for them to decide what to wear? What should they take in to consideration? Below is some ideas that will hopefully help your guests get ready for your destination wedding in Italy!


Nothing is more garish at a country wedding than edgy couture. Stick to pastel tea-length or eyelet dresses and peep-toe flats so you don’t get you Louboutin heels stuck in the cobbles in the sleepy Tuscan village!

The long, print maxi dress was made for hot destination weddings and prints are back for 2011. Since you've spent your savings on a ticket, skip the shoe splurge and slip into metallic gladiator sandals. The 5'4" groomsman will thank you.
Designer: JS Collections Print Chiffon Gown 
This season is full of colour and in the chic cities of Rome, Florence, Milan and Venice, make a statement with a splash of colour!
Designer: Versace

Jemma Kidd and Arthur Wellesley at Prince Nikolaos wedding
Remind your guests if you are having a Catholic Church wedding in Italy, to bring something to cover their shoulders. On a practical note a shawl will also keep the sun off delicate pale skin and as the sun goes down keep the evening chill away!
Wedding in Positano
Walking back down the hill from the town hall of Positano located at the top of the town... resulting in rushing in to shoe shops on the way down to buy flip flops!



Wearing closed shoes in the summer time in Italy is a definite no no! It is just too hot!  With the amount of walking I do on the day of a wedding  a pair of flip flops or elegant sandals to slip on is a must. Let your guests know if the streets are cobbled or if there is any walking involved on the day of your wedding so they are forewarned and can decided on the correct foot wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...