Friday, 2 August 2013

Scenario five: When a British National resident in the UK is getting married to an Irish national in Italy.


Scenario five

When a British National resident in the UK is getting married to an Irish national in Italy.

You should start this process no more than 6 months before your wedding date.  
What you need to do

You’ll be asked to provide a ‘Nulla Osta’ by the authorities in Italy. This is a certificate that proves you’re allowed to marry.
You need to get a Nulla Osta by applying to the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) in London if your partner is Irish and you live in England or Wales.
Your partner should contact the Irish authorities to get their Nulla Osta.

Applying for a Nulla Osta from the FCO

  1. Place a public announcement of your marriage in your local newspaper for at least 1 week, as described on the form.
  2. Swear an affidavit (written statement of facts) in front of a solicitor - there’s an example on the form.
  3. Make sure you’ve got all of the supporting documents you need - there’s a checklist on the form.
  4. You’ll also need to include a pre-paid, self-addressed special delivery envelope, or a £10 postage fee, so the FCO can return your documents.
  5. Send your completed form to the FCO with your supporting documents and payment. You can pay by credit card online, or send a postal order or bank draft for £65 (or £75 if you’re paying the postage) made payable to ‘FCO’. Personal cheques aren’t accepted. The address is on the form.
  6. FCO will forward your Nulla Osta application to the British Embassy in Rome. They’ll aim to issue the Nulla Osta within 20 days, and contact you to arrange payment (see fees below).
  7. They’ll then send it to the town hall (‘comune’) in Italy where you’re getting married - or to The Italian Wedding Planners office if you ask them to. It’s normally valid for 6 months.
The names on all documents you provide must appear exactly as they do on your passports - if not, the authorities may refuse to allow the marriage to go ahead. You may need to provide evidence if the name on your passport is different to your birth certificate (eg marriage certificate or deed poll).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...